Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Prejudge A Book By It's Cover

From: Leeds, United Kingdom

The Clifford Village Band

When I saw the Clifford Village Band's name on the Glastonbury ETC list under the folk genre with a song called
The Fisherman and I my heart sank. I was, quite understandably I think, expecting a finger in the ear arran sweater enclad homage to the early albums of Fairport Convention or Steeleye Span . Well that's taught me to never prejudge a band by it's name. This is a band who obviously like to defy expectations. With a singer who sounds like Edwyn Collins after a Morrissey tonsil transplant The Darkness In The Corner of Your Eye is a revelation while Attica sounds like a bucolic Belle & Sebastian.

If all folk music was made this way the world would be a better place. This judging lark doesn't get any easier!


Go Try

The Darkness in the Corner of your Eye by Clifford Village Band

Attica by Clifford Village Band

Go Visit

Clifford Village Band - Myspace

Go View


Clifford Village Band
Starfish Band