Ideals From: Ipswich, United Kingdom
It's interview week on the Devil's blog and what better way to start than with a band that will be one of 2011's bands to watch of the blogosphere cognoscenti. Lead singer and guitarist Andrew Major took time off from preparing for super-stardom to tell the Devil about his favourite artists, his regretful fling with the music (sic) of Limp Bizkit and the little white lies he once told about shoe sizes!
The Devil: Why Ideals?
Andrew: When we came up with the name it was a bit of snap decision, we had to come up with a new name fast as we were sort of re-branding ourselves from another band that 3 of us were in. We stopped on Ideals because we though it basically summed up in 1 word what we wanted to be and to describe in our music. Everyone has their own "Ideals" and we wanted to fit ourselves in there. We wanted to refine our music down to make it as perfect to us as possible and hopefully people would see that when they listen to it.
The Devil: What other names did you ponder before deciding it had to be Ideals?
Andrew: I honestly can't remember! aha. I remember exactly where it was (in our bassist house on christmas eve) and we went through various names but none of them were quite right. We really wanted a 1 word name and it was just the best we could think of in half an hour. We couldn't be happier with it though.
The Devil: Who are the biggest influences in your life and on your music?
Andrew: I'd say simply everything we do everyday, there's so much influence in just sitting on a bus or walking around London, everything is inspiring in London; it's a great place to be. And as clichéd as it sounds in the lyrics I'd sa
y mistakes are probably the biggest influence. They'repretty much all about thing's that I regret. I'm nearly running out of material though so i need a new angle! aha.
The Devil: What was the first record you owned and what was the first record you ever bought with your own money?
Andrew: It's so embarrassing but the first record i ever bought with my own money was Limp Bizkit's first album. I had to persuade my mum to let me get it in a Virgin megastore in Reading when I was about 13 because of the parental guidance sticker on the front.
The Devil: What makes Ideals stand out from the millions of other bands across the world? What makes you unique?
Andrew: Ahhh this is the hardest question to answer (second is "who do you sound like" aha). I think what makes us stand-out is that we're not "trying" to sound like any other band. There's always comparisons but we don't write a song to try and sound like another band. I think we're fairly individual in our sound. Clearly we fit into a genre and regularly get dumped in so many but the entire "indie" genre isn't really relevant anymore in my opinion. We prefer to just say we play music that we'd want to listen to. Each band member has so many different influence that I think it all combines to make something just slightly different from other bands.
Andrew: I honestly can't remember! aha. I remember exactly where it was (in our bassist house on christmas eve) and we went through various names but none of them were quite right. We really wanted a 1 word name and it was just the best we could think of in half an hour. We couldn't be happier with it though.
The Devil: Who are the biggest influences in your life and on your music?
Andrew: I'd say simply everything we do everyday, there's so much influence in just sitting on a bus or walking around London, everything is inspiring in London; it's a great place to be. And as clichéd as it sounds in the lyrics I'd sa
y mistakes are probably the biggest influence. They'repretty much all about thing's that I regret. I'm nearly running out of material though so i need a new angle! aha.The Devil: What was the first record you owned and what was the first record you ever bought with your own money?
Andrew: It's so embarrassing but the first record i ever bought with my own money was Limp Bizkit's first album. I had to persuade my mum to let me get it in a Virgin megastore in Reading when I was about 13 because of the parental guidance sticker on the front.
The Devil: What makes Ideals stand out from the millions of other bands across the world? What makes you unique?
Andrew: Ahhh this is the hardest question to answer (second is "who do you sound like" aha). I think what makes us stand-out is that we're not "trying" to sound like any other band. There's always comparisons but we don't write a song to try and sound like another band. I think we're fairly individual in our sound. Clearly we fit into a genre and regularly get dumped in so many but the entire "indie" genre isn't really relevant anymore in my opinion. We prefer to just say we play music that we'd want to listen to. Each band member has so many different influence that I think it all combines to make something just slightly different from other bands.
The Devil: Which bands or artists on the current music scene make your spine tingle?
Andrew: Chapel Club are currently the one for me, just everything about them says something personally. I know Simon is the one with the ear for new talent but as stupid as it might sound I don't really listen to that much new music. I'm much more into the old Strokes stuff and even the long forgotten bands like Idlewild and Silversun Pickups. There are a load of American bands that we're all into too like Manchester Orchestra, The National, Rival Schools etc. There's a huge spectrum of artists (our guitarist used to be in a hardcore band so he likes such a diversity)
The De
vil: Favourite song?Andrew: How Soon Is Now by The Smiths. It's basically the perfect song (great choice - The Devil)
The Devil: Favourite book?
Andrew: I recently read The Book Thief and that was pretty amazing. I really don't read as much as I should.
The Devil: Favourite Movie?
Andrew: Star Wars (excluding episodes 2 & 3)
The Devil: Favourite website?
Andrew: Facebook
The Devil: Tell me something that you've never told anyone before
Andrew: I used to pretend my feet were a size 9 at my first secondary school to try and impress people. They are in fact an 8

The Devil: If you weren't in Ideals how would you keep yourself occupied?
Andrew: Well I'd do a lot more university work and see my friends more. I'd be fucking bored most of the time though. The Devil: If you were interviewing yourself what would your killer question be and how would you answer it?
Andrew: My killer question would be "Do you think any bands other than Metallica and Kings of Leon make any money?" and the answer would be "No" (it's a cruel world)The Devil: Is there anything else you'd like to tell the Devil Has The Best Tuna readers?
Andrew: Obviously check our facebook and myspace to see if we're playing near you and come on down. And. Keep it foolish.
Go Try
Ideals- LoveSong by Soundandvisionpr
Go Visit
Ideals - Myspace : Facebook : Last.FM
Go View
Ideals
Lungs
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5